Thursday, February 28, 2008

End of an Era.
Grandpa Billy Bert Hilliard April 25, 1921- February 23, 2008

Picture Taken April of 2004 when I (Debi) visited my Aunt Candy & Granparents in California for my 30th birthday.

My Grandfather and the kids Great Grandfather passed away on Saturday, February 23, 2008. Since we moved back to California we have been able to see my grandparents and aunt several times over the last 9 months.
..........................
I am glad that I was able to visit more with my Grandpa before he died and ask him many questions about his life. I was stunned when my Grandma and Grandpa told me that they lived on $270 dollars a month for a very long period of time after they had my aunt. Holy inflation!
..........................
A couple months ago when I was visiting with my Grandpa he told me about the son him and Grandma had after my aunt. His name was William and he died due to complications from my Grandmother being Rh- and Grandpa being Rh+. Grandpa said he rode in the ambulance that took William down town to a hospital that could maybe help him, but he only lived a short time. Grandpa expressed how hard this was to watch him and that there was nothing he could do. I really never knew about this event and it was special to have him share this with me.
..........................
After he was moved into an assisted living facility we went and saw him several times. It was very hard for him to be there but he expressed his gratitude for all the visits he got. This experience has been an eye opener for me and I hope to be more available for my aging family. There has to be a better system for caring for our elderly and I hope as a society we can all work towards finding it.
..........................
I am grateful for: My family... yes this is a recurring theme but truly everything good in life is not worth enjoying unless you can share it with your family. Even the trials in life can be good when you have family members to strengthen you and rally around you.

1 comment:

azufelt said...

Hey there!!! Nice to see you updating your site, sorry to hear about your grandpa.

How is everything going? I miss talking with you, I hope that everything is going good and you are all enjoying life!! Miss you!